Georgia Agriculture Awareness Week

We are concluding our Agriculture Awareness Week by introducing the Fellenbaums, a couple who understands the value of hard work and service to the community. Justin and Emily both grew up in the Pickens County School System and met through the 4-H Program in high school. Emily was also active in FFA and showing livestock during that time. Both volunteered at 4-H events and camps after graduating from high school.

The two continued their journey together to Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, with Justin earning at B. S. Degree in Agriculture and Emily receiving her Bachelor’s in Agricultural Education. They wed in November of 2019. Justin determined he wanted to be a county extension agent, and obtained his Master’s of Science in Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications from the University of Tennessee.  In January of this year, the timing was right and his goal was realized when Justin was named the Pickens County Extension Agent. He’s a split agent with 70% of his job falling under agricultural needs and natural resources of the community and the other 30% being devoted to the 4-H Program. He does visits of home and farm sites and assists with the local Master Gardener Program. Justin is a previous Amicalola EMC Washington Youth Tour runner up and a recipient of an Amicalola EMC college scholarship.

Emily, a former student of Mr. Jason Cantrell at Pickens High, did her student teaching at Dawson High School under the direction of Mr. Keith Pankey.  Following her graduation from ABAC, she was hired as the Fannin High School FFA Advisor, and has been teaching almost 4 years. There she trains FFA members for Career/Leadership Development, supervises livestock projects, assists in running the Blue Ridge Cannery, volunteers with the Fannin Animal Shelter and heads up the annual FFA plant sale.  She is currently working on her Master’s of Science in Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications and is set to graduate from the University of Tennessee in May.

Both Justin and Emily have a desire to give back to the community and the programs that “grew them”. With his enthusiasm and her effervescent love for her students, the Fellenbaums provide the young people of our community with a good example of what effort and perseverance can accomplish. With the couple completing the building of a new home in Marble Hill soon, they’ll be able to serve the people in this area for many years to come.  Amicalola EMC celebrates their many successes and thanks them both for their leadership and dedication to agriculture education!

#EMCsPowerAg #GaAgWeek2022 #GeorgiaGrown #BuyGeorgiaGrown

Posted on March 25, 2022

Your browser is out of date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now