Amicalola EMC was created on February 10, 1940.
President Roosevelt created the REA (Rural Electrification Administration) on May 11, 1935 with Executive Order No. 7037, under powers granted by the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935. The goal of the REA was to bring electricity to America’s rural areas.
At this time, the farmers and residents of the rural areas in our communities were still without electricity, although the businesses and homes in town had already begun to receive power. This single factor is what drove the creation of the REA, and in 1940 the creation of Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation.
For a $5 membership fee, rural residents could join the cooperative and as soon as their homes were wired, they could begin to receive electricity.
Today, 83 years later, Amicalola EMC is still a not-for-profit electric cooperative providing electricity and related services to over 54,000 locations in portions of ten north Georgia counties, which include Bartow, Cherokee, Dawson, Fannin, Forsyth, Gilmer, Gordon, Lumpkin, Murray and Pickens counties.
Owned by those we serve, our mission remains the same, to provide safe, reliable and affordable electricity to our members.